639/645 Wimborne Road, Winton, Bournemouth BH9 2AR                01202   528818

                3a Runnymeade Parade, Ringwood Road, Bransgore BH23 8NJ      01425    674595

Walter's Funeral2

Contact Us

Telephone (24 Hours)

Bournemouth   01202 528818

Bransgore        01425 674595






(By Appointment Only)

Maximum of 2 Persons


08.30-17.00 mon-fri


09.30-15.30 mon-fri


NAFD logo

An Independent and Traditional Family Funeral Director    



One of the duties of relatives or friends following a death is the notification to different organisations and the cancellation of indentifcation, documents, accounts and memberships in the name of the deceased.


To assist with this, the government has recently introduced the "Tell Us Once" service which notifies all the appropiate government departments. This is carried out after the registration of the death.  For more information use the link to the web page below. This service is free, but you will need to have the deceased's National Insurance number, their passporrt and driving licence details.

If you don't use this "Tell us once" service then certain documents belonging to the deceased should be returned with a note of explanation and the date of death.

Passport to the Passport Office, Newport, Gwent

Driving Licence to DVLC, Swansea SA6 7GL

Vehicle registration documents to DVLC for change of ownership

Benefit payment books to the nearest Social Security Office

Others who may require notification of the death

The deceased's solicitor and any executors.

The deceased's bank or building society.

Insurance companies for life, medical and travel cover.

Insurance companies for the car, buildings and household contents.

Private pension companies.

Gas, water, electricity and telephone companies.

Cable or satellite TV companies and internet providers eg. Virgin or Sky

Local Authority regarding Council Tax and Housing Benefit also for returning travel

          passes and disabled parking permits.

The landlord, if applicable.

Any clubs or associations of which the deceased was a member or a season ticket.

Social services and other care support.

Hire purchase agreement or loan companies.

The mortgage company.

Credit and store card providers.

HMRC to cancel any Tax Credit or Child Benefit payments.

National Insurance Contributions Office if the deceased was self-employed

Premium Bonds, National Savings and other investments such as Shares or ISAs.

TV Licensing to obtain a refund (www.tvlicensing.co.uk)

The family doctor, dentist or any other place the deceased was receiving treatment.

The deceased's employer.